Bar soap is a handy and effective way to cleanse the skin. Not all soaps are created equal, hence it is important to check ingredients, and select a soap that is suited to your skin's unique needs. Traditionally speaking, bar soaps are made using fat, water, and an alkali, usually sodium hydroxide. The alkali combines with theoils in the soap to kickstart a process called saponification. There are five main hand and body bar soap types:
1. True Soap: Made using the traditional method, true soaps are fashioned with alkali salts of fatty acids. They also contain surfactants which help disrupt the bond between dirt and surfaces. Most true soaps contain several synthetic hardeners, fragrances, and colorants,which is something to be aware of.
2. Syndet Soap: Most bar liquid soaps that you purchase are in fact syndet soaps. Syndet is short for “synthetic” and “detergent”. They are made using synthetic surfactants like petroleum-based products. Not all syndet bars are bad for you just because they're synthetic. In fact, Dove, Eucerin, and Cetaphil are all good examples of gentle syndet bars.
3. Superfatted Soap: These are true soap bars made with extra oil to moisturize very dehydrated skin.
4. Transparent Soap: These are true or syndet bars made using glycerin, giving it a transparent quality and extra moisturization. Glycerin for the most part is milder on the skin, however it may be irritating for some skin types depending on the specific formulation.
5. Combination Bar: As the name suggests, combination bars are made from various types of cleansers, usually combining the ingredients of syndet and superfatted bars. They aim to maximize cleansing while minimizing skin irritation.
HerbsDaily offers a wide range of liquid soap and bar soap products. If you’re looking to purchase bar soap online, look no further than HerbsDaily.
Herbs Daily Inc
34972 Newark Blvd, #274, Newark, CA 94560
(6:00AM - 6:00PM PT from Mon - Fri)
Do you want to add products to your personal account?